FL studio (was also known as Fruity Loops) is a fully featured Digital Work Station that you can make all sorts of music with. Even though upgrades are free for life, what if you got a similar program that was free to begin with?
Welcome to LMMS
Image via Wikipedia
LMMS stands for Linux MultiMedia Studio. Don’t let the name fool you though- it’s for Windows too. LMMS is open source as well, and is, of course, 100% free.
LMMS has a similar interface to Fl Studio and can even import FL files! Here is a list of features from the official LMMS site:
- Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect-plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and full MIDI support
- Import of MIDI and FLP (Fruityloops® Project) files
LMMS has striking similarities to Fl Studio, which makes it a viable alternative to the paid FL Studio. I really enjoyed how the interface was very easy to use, and you could get started and create so easily. There is also a easy tutorial to start off with, and I created a full song in minutes.
Homepage of LMMS: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php