If you are like me, you just got the new Motorola droid and now you are overwhelmed with the number of apps. These are my top 10 must have droid apps, all for free.
1) USA Today – USA today was the first newspaper to realize the potential the droid app store has, and because of it they have the best newspaper app. With this you can check out all the latest news from finance to health to breaking news.
2) Abduction – Because everybody needs a game to play every now and then. Probably the stupidest idea for a game I’ve ever heard of, but also the most fun game I’ve played on a cell phone. The premise is you are a cow, trying to reach an alien spaceship while saving other cows. The fun part is its use of the phone’s tilt. If you need a comparison, its similar to vertical frogger, only faster.
3) Shazam – Everyone has those moments. When you hear that song on the radio, only to realize you can’t download it to your ipod because you don’t know the name. Maybe you go to co-workers and ask, saying something like “it goes la-la-lalala-la-bumbum-babum.” Stop those awkward moments with Shazam. This app listens to the song for you then gives you the name and can even take you to youtube to watch the music video or amazon to buy the song.
4) Antivirus – With the myriad of user created apps, you can never be too careful. The app will scan your phone for viruses. Simple and useful.
5) Task List- There are dozens of to do programs free on the droid. My favorite is task list, a very simple program in which you can keep track due dates, assignments, etc. Be warned though, if you have an overly complicated schedule, you may need one of the more complex to do apps
6) Barcode Scanner – This app makes this list half for its usefulness, but half for just being cool. Basically it allows you to scan a bar code, and it will give you information of that product. A similar application is “calorie counter,” which scans barcodes then gives you all the nutritional facts, which you can store to keep track of your diet
7) Aldiko- Browse and download free ebooks from the greats like Twain, Dickens, and Plato. And if your not into the classics, it also has quite a few free domain books.
8) Workout Buddy- Records your weight lifted, reps, weight, bmi and much more. Allows you to progress at the gym without carrying around a workout journal.
9) Backgrounds- With such a large screen as the droid has, your background is important. With the “backgrounds” app, you can choose from hundreds of backgrounds, including names, sports, and movies.
10) WikiMobile – Allows you to have Wikipedia at your fingertips. Great for when you just need general information about a subject.