How to Translate Your Website Content in Different Languages Using Joomla 1.7.
Joomla 1.7 does not require the component JoomFish or to enable multilingual support. Support is built on Joomla 1.7 natively, although we did not feel very intuitive. There are several steps that one needs to know to get everything running smoothly.
Below is a summary of the step-by-step how to turn simple multilingual features in Joomla 1.7:
1. Login to your website, from the control panel go to Extensions> Extension Manager
2. Installing language packs. You need a separate language packs for each language. Download language pack from here: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/ languages/translations-for-joomla http://community.joomla.org/translations.html
3. Once you have installed the required language pack (s), go to Extensions> Language Manager
4. In the Language Manager, select the Content tab, create a new item in accordance with the language you have installed.
5. From the main control panel, go to Menu and create a new menu for the required language (or, if the second language menu has been created, making Mew Menu Item for this menu language). You need a separate menu for each language, and they will all be listed under the Menu.
6. This step is very important! Once you create a second (third, forth, etc.) language menu item, you need to associate them with each other.
7. NOTE: Joomla has one by default Home page. If you add another language, you need to create a Home page that is appropriate for that language.
8. To add to the article in different languages, simply go to the Article Manager, Add New Item, and specify the language. Plugging in the appropriate menu item in the same language, as usual. Alias manually specify the contents, if you want. Add meta data, keywords, etc. And voila, you’re done.