Scientists develop technique to use electricity that comes from bacteria-eating virus.
A team from the University of California, Berkeley using a virus known as bacteriophage M13 to replace the toxic elements that are used to charge mobile phones. Thus was launched from Gadgetsndtv, Wednesday (08/15/2012).
The virus itself has properties similar to piezoelectricity, in which the virus is translating mechanical energy into electrical energy. At the microphone on the phone, turn the tide of piezoelectric energy of sound waves into electrical output, and then translated back into sound waves.
Bacteriophage M13 has the ability to generate electricity when compressed without using toxic chemicals. The researchers also believe this discovery could pave the way to replace the hazardous materials used in mobile phones.
Lee and colleagues found that the pencil-shaped M13 viruses have potential as an energy source is perfect. Because the virus is harmless to humans. In addition, the virus is cheap and easy. In which researchers have trillions of virus from a single infected bacteria.
“It will bring much joy. By utilizing the properties of the biomaterial, we can find unique applications in the future,” said Wang.