The level of accuracy that these systems guarantee is the main reason behind their wide application across all areas of operations. Security should be a concern for everyone who is still contemplating on using these devices.
Finger print readers are one of the most common forms of biometric technological devices that are used to day. They are used to identify an individual based on specific characteristics that are unique in every individual. Though the cost of installing this device in an organization may be high it is one way of boosting security level. Each biometric system has varying application based on a unique and distinguishable human characteristic such as the iris, voice or fingerprint. The firms that have adopted the use of this technology have added another layer of security network.
Mode of operation of biometrics
· They identify an individual by recognizing the unique patterns such as the finger prints which contains specific patterns and ridges. These attributes can only be traced to a single individual this means that two people cannot have similar finger patterns
· A standard system is made of sensors which perform the job of scanning and a processor which translates the characteristics inserted in the biometric device
· The finger prints or any other unique characteristic are stored in a database within a system. The application of computer software makes it possible to link a character to the information stored in the database within seconds. Positive identification is only possible if that given attribute is already in existence in the system.
· Within the database the mode of identification is given a specific PIN or code for easy identification and matching. This is then linked to the person who posses them and may be highlighted in form of an account.
Common uses of identification devices
· It regulates the number of people gaining access to a given place or building. By limiting the number of people it is easy to have and maintain the records on those entering and leaving a premise. This is usually important for security purposes especially in areas that are considered sensitive and may be prone to security threats.
· Some data centers consider the application of these systems as a simpler way of raising the levels of remote access by users in different locations within a network.
· System administrators and managers in organizations apply their use in enhancing security as well as controlling those gaining access to the information of the firm. Without control getting hold of facts of a company may be detrimental more so if they end up in the hands of a competitor
· Some organizations rely on them to assist in identification of the employees. They also help in providing records on attendance of staff as well as the clocking time. Such information is necessary in preparation and update of payroll systems.
· They are used by security forces to identify individuals or citizens based on what is contained in their database. The law enforcers rely on them for comprehensive search.